Old 28-02-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default How much water do rhododendrons need?

On 28/2/07 18:10, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:28:50 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snip

I wonder if the OP has taken out the roots of the leylandii? If not, as
they rot down they will take nitrogen from the soil and that will affect the
Rhodies so that needs to be considered in terms of treatment. Would you
agree, Chris? I've never encountered these conditions myself with Rhodies
but would think it must be taken into consideration.

Possibly, but my experience of Leylandii roots is that they are not so
extensive that I would think them a real problem, as they only rot
away fairly slowly. The OP should anyway consider feeding his rhodies
with a high-nitrogen feed in spring, after flowering, to encourage
growth, and a high-potash feed in mid to late summer, say end July -
early August, to set flower bud for the following year, but I doubt if
feeding is necessary in the first year.

With regard to the roots, I imagine this must depend on the age and size of
the trees. But I think the OP should be aware of a possible problem there.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk