Old 28-02-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default How much water do rhododendrons need?

wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On 26 Feb 2007 09:40:04 GMT, wrote:

We have a site where we have cleared a number of large (i.e 50ft
high)
Leylandii and we're thinking of planting some rhododendrons there.

Unless you have several acres, I would avoid rhododendrons, they can grow
bigger than leylandii, not in height, but in width, and they spread, and
they are not as easy to get rid of as leylandii.

We have about 9 acres actually! :-)

The rhododendrons will be welcome to spread to an extent, though they will
be
confined on one side by a small road and on the other by our chickens.

--
Chris Green

Not all Rhodies are as rampageous as the common ponticum which is still a
good doer. In fact some of these could be your best bet in a large area.
When and if they are not required they rip out of the ground in one piece,
assuming you use chains and a Landrover:-)