Old 01-03-2007, 12:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] brucef@eudoramail.com is offline

Default Is there a green way of getting rid of caterpillars?

On Feb 28, 7:23 pm, Chookie wrote:
Dipel. It's actually a naturally occurring bacteria that attacks caterpillars.

BUT -- do you really have a big problem? Are they eating everything in sight?
Or are you just worried that they *will*? Or are they spitfires? If you can
live without using Dipel, I would try -- wasps and dragonflies ilke eating
caterpillars, and you could get something interesting when the caterpillars
turn into butterflies.

.... or cabbage moths.

Each spring we get little green caterpillers that strip every
leaf off our bouganvilleas - and we have about 30m of bouganvillea
along our fence. Doesn't seem to do them any harm. Not sure what
the attraction is, bouganvillea leaf doesn't look particularly
tasty to me.