Old 28-02-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default peat free compost

On 28 Feb, 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I haven't had much luck with peat free compost especially in sowing
seeds, though I once got a solid block of coir from the Worm compost
people as a freebie and I found that newly rooted cuttings of shrubs etc
did superbly well. (Never sure why though!)

I came across this website about coir on the net when looking to compare
the price of proper seed composts.http://www.fertilefibre.com/

What do the experts think? It seems expensive but useful if you want to
stay as 'green' as possible

I have tried various composts, some peat free, some with some peat,
the most interesting one is one I got from Tesco the other day, 50litr
bales for £2.00 that's just 4p a litre, it is peat based but has wood
fibre added to it, It sieves out well for use for seeds and cuttings.
I'm trying it for cuttings, seed and potting up shrubs etc. and for a
few baskets.
B & Q are still doing a peat based compost at around 5p a litre
depending on pensioner discount.
Focus have moved to a peat free compost, No good for seed or cuttings,
but OK for potting on large plants.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.