Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default Dwarf French Beans

The message
from Gill Matthews Try the contains these words:

In article ,
says...
Good afternoon,

I'm thinking about growing some French beans this year and, as
always, I've
got a couple of questions!

1. Can anyone recommend a variety - I've been told that 'Hilton' is the
most commonly grown, but I liked the look of the 'Purple Teepee' variety;
has anyone grow these before?

2. If French beans are allowed to developed full pods, can the beans be
stored for cooking over winter?

Yet again, many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andrew

Is their a reason for dwarf french beans? IMHO climbing french beans look
the same taste the same don't take up so much room as well as not getting
covered in mud and not giving you serious back pain to boot. My favourite
climbing french beans are cobra and diamant

Gill M

I've always taken that view but tried a couple of varieties of dwarf
beans last year - Purple Teepee and Canadian Wonder (for dried beans)
and found they were surprisingly productive for very little labour.

Janet G