Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default And....

Sacha wrote:

On 28/2/07 20:59, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Good thing I did too, because when I got there one of my green-tent
cloches had been blown over by the wind - the metal frame was upside
down in the broad beans and the cover fabric was almost in someone's
garden on the other side of the allotments. I retrieved it, repositioned
it and pegged it down as firmly as I could, supplementing the inadequate
pegs that came with it with some bits of paving slab and short garden
canes.

I take my hat off to you for even attempting to wrestle with such a
situation!

Thanks - but there really wasn't much choice - it was that or leave it
to be blown away again :-(

Seems moderately secure at the moment, but I foresee a trip to a camping
shop and the purchase of some rather stouter tentpegs in the near
future.....

At least the peas planted underneath it hadn't come up yet, so there was
nothing to be damaged there.

For some idea of the size of the thing, here's a picture of the three
cloches in the snow a couple of weeks ago :-

http://www.wrhpv.com/temp/monopoly_howses.jpg

Although two of them have been moved since then, so they don't look
quite so much like they're waiting for a large red version of themselves
to arrive :-)

The bench in the picture was apparently built by the father of the
previous allotment holder who had had the plot before him. I feel like
I'm taking over a piece of history....

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

We've been offered peanuts on a plane before and when they arrived they
were actually broad beans! Quite nice really - I think the the Swiss
flight attendants had been taught "peanuts" as the generic name for any
small crunchy things in packets :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"