Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Weng Weng is offline
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunty mor View Post
Thanks! I will use bark chip as I have a bag of it. Would love to let it roam freely but not practical as I have it on a little shelf in a very little bathroom. Not sure what orchid I actually have. It was nearly dead when I bought it for next to nothing. All I know is that it is a dwarf that smells of chocolate.
Sounds like an Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' to me ;-) If it is, the black spots on the leaves are characteristic. You cannot 'cure' that!

Suzie, wait till the compost at the base of the pot is almost dry. Try looking through the holes at the bottom. With practice, you should be able to judge by the weight of the pot. Unfortunately, the intervals will depend on the temperature and humidy, and how much water the plant is actually using. The compost holds varying amounts of water depending on its composition and size. Large pieces of compost will need watering much more often then little pieces. On top of that, as the bark decomposes, it will hold more water.

Sounds complicated, I know, but it really is not difficult. Happy growing.

Weng