Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default peat free compost

In article .com,
"La Puce" wrote:

On 28 Feb, 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I haven't had much luck with peat free compost especially in sowing
seeds, though I once got a solid block of coir from the Worm compost
people as a freebie and I found that newly rooted cuttings of shrubs etc
did superbly well. (Never sure why though!)
I came across this website about coir on the net when looking to compare
the price of proper seed composts.http://www.fertilefibre.com/
What do the experts think? It seems expensive but useful if you want to
stay as 'green' as possible

You won't find many experts not using peat sadly. Fertilefibre is
great and I've used it many time (sold from my local garden centre)
but last year I used my own made compost, sieved1 ltr to one handfull
of vermiculite. Everything came through successfully and I did lots of
flowers and veg. This year I want to try the Genie 1, which is a JI
but without peat nor added fertiliser. It sounds really 'green' and
has been backed up by many environmental people and organisation. I
however cannot find it anywhere!

There's a company called West Riding Organics in Huddersfield
http://www.wrorganics.co.uk/ who, as far as I understand,
have some system for extracting peat from moorland streams
without excavation. Has anyone used their products or is it
a myth?