Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Drainage question for raised bed next to house

"paulfj" wrote in news:1172760565.868553.54280@
8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

Here's a list of what we've planted, though I think the issue is
inadequate drainage:

I pulled a few facts about these plants just to try and piece this together
a bit.

Blackeyed Susan

Medium tolerance for drought; likes well-drained soil. Sun to partial
shade but will not tolerate a lot of shade.

Goblin

Is that a moonwort? That's not zoned for where you are, AFAICT.

Lantana

Ok for NC. Can withstand drought; likes full sun. Lantana camera isn't
zoned for where you are but I think all the other ones are.

Columbine (purple & yellow) - 1 of 3 seemed to do ok, and it's on the
outside corner of the bed

Wild Columbine likes partial shade; moist, well-drained humus soil.

Foxglove

There are some varieties that aren't grown in NC. Perhaps you have the
wrong kind? Most varieties (if not all) like partial shade.

They like moist but well-drained soil.

Lily of the Nile

Likes full AM sun but perhaps PM sun was too much for it?

Maiden Pink

Is that Dianthus deltoides? Being a wildflower, it should have been able
to take a bit of neglect. Perhaps the dieback was a natural part of the
cycle?

Red Fox

Can't find this one listed at:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets

Rosea

Can't find this one, either.

Termari Patio Rose

Or this one.

Wine Periwinkle

Can't find this specific one but Periwinkle likes partial to full shade.

Mexican Heather - seemed to do really well; suspect it will come back

Couldn't find this one, either, but I suspect that something from Mexico
might appreciate a NC summer. That it did well would make me think that
you *didn't* have a drainage problem.

Tiger Lilies

Again, "Tiger Lilies" didn't come up on the
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/ search but if you
have the scientific name, perhaps you can look it up, but I thought (but I
could be wrong) that all lilies liked things a bit on the damp side.

"Jim Crockett" Boltonio

Bombed out on that one, too. If you have the scientific name you might be
able to find it.

I'm wondering if heat and too much light didn't kill off a lot of your
flowers, not a drainage problem. Did you actually notice boggy soil?
Collected water?

One thing I'm currently learning about clay soil (I'm in Indiana and we
have it, too) is that plants may grow fine in their from-the-nursery matrix
or in an above ground bed, but when they hit that clay, they haven't
developed the strong roots necessary to go through it. Their roots not
having anywhere to go would also concern me if you had several inches of
gravel in the bottom of the bed, too.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the bricks generated a
bit too much heat to the plant roots.

Where did you get the plants? Was it from a nursery? Do they have a
warranty on their plants? Some do. If you take back the dead plants, you
might get new ones. If you haven't pulled out the plants yet though, you
might want to give them a chance to come to life again. You never know...
it might happen.

Thanks again

Well, I don't know how much help that was but it was fun looking them up
for you and trying to brainstorm with you a bit.