Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Brian[_8_] Brian[_8_] is offline

Default Planning Vegetable garden

Where do you live? What state.

In my previous home we had a 15 by 15, and in that I manage a half dozen
tomato plants, four green pepper plants, two rows of green beans (closely
spaced), a row of radishes, row of onions, and on the out side row I pounded
in a couple of T-Stakes, strung up a piece of plastic construction mesh
(orange) and trained about three cucumber plants to grow up it. Our stuff
was a little bit cramped in there but it worked out fine. We made a lot of
salsa.

6 tomato plants will produce a LOT of tomatos. We ended up freezing a
bunch, drying a bunch, and EATING a bunch. We had two Early Girls, two Big
Boys, and two Celebrities. My wife also planted a couple cherry tomato
plants in a flower pot, that worked great.

I live in central Indiana...it doesn't pay to grow sweet corn in the
backyard because every farmer around here has it growing anyway, and I can
buy it for $3 a dozen ears just about anytime I want it. We bought two
pickup truck loads of late sweet corn last summer for $20 - blanched it,
buttered it, cut it off the cob and froze it. We're still eating sweet
corn.

"Sportinus" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have decided on a 14 by 14 plot for the garden (it is about all we
could fit). Since this is not very large ar there plants that can be
coplanted? for example what could I interplant with my tomatos. The
kids are thinking corn carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce. any
other suggestions that real taste good out of the graden?