Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
charliekilo charliekilo is offline

Default Grubs

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:44:33 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:49:36 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

This is the incorrect pronunciation, but do use it if you want.

Um, yes, but Steve's point was addressing the curiously incorrect
pronunciations that native Texans employ, which identifies who are native
and who are not. Kinda like Houston St. in Manhattan...
He did leave out Manor..........

Um, who cared if someone is native or not? This is the United States
and I was born here, so I am American. I live 37 years in NYC and
eastern Long Island.

Houston St. is pronounced both ways in NYC. Howston or Hueston. No
problems and nobody gives a shit if people are native or not. I guess
that's the advantage of growing up in a progressive, diverse culture
in one of America's first cities. To be honest, I like it much more
here, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dumb down to fit in.

I lived in NYC for 10 years, on Mercer two blocks above Houston, I never
heard it pronounced "Hueston" by anyone other than tourists.