Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Something to look out for

Sacha wrote:

wrote:
That's a cracking plant! If my border spaces were already allocated,
I might be very tempted evwen though I don't normally go for hardy
stuff.

Oh course what I mean't to say was that if the spaces weren't already
allocated, but there was a heck of a din going on in the background.

Well, you can surely squeeze in one more plant! Your others are waiting for
you, so perhaps you'll be tempted when you come over.

It may have to be sooner than later - I'm about to start a new project
that will keep me very busy for a while. Somehow I need to turf out
the basjoo clump without damaging an Arenga palm growing beneath it.
It's going to be tricky. As to the Gentian, maybe it could go into a
big wide container currently housing a large clump of Crinum moorei.
Soft pink and intense purplish blue would work well. I'll need to
think about that

(Tea room's open, choccie cake awaits.... ;-))

Please, don't !

And chatting to David Hill makes me think - have you got that tall Dahlia he
gave us?

No, I had a spate of Dahlia imperialis enthusiasm some years ago, but
even the leaves left me rather bored after a while. I know that
David's plant flowers well with better flowers, but I'm not Dahlia-
minded ATM. I've more or less decided that the basjoo should be
replaced by an Ensete in the corner and be surrounded by the Monstera
you've set aside. I think I'll have to content myself with that for
this year. Space is getting very, very tight and what were relatively
tiny palms a few years ago, are now getting quite sizeable and all of
them need more room.