Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

"Jen" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message

When babies start walking and investigating everything in the house,
most people put safety locks on cabinets containing anything that could
hurt a baby. Assuming the home did NOT have these safety locks in place
before the baby, would you agree that their appearance is related to
the presence of the new baby?

Not the babies fault if there isn't.

The point is this, Jen: The parent installs the locks because they
address one of the requirements for being a good parent: Keeping the baby
from harm. Therefore, the parent's behavior has changed because of the
presence of the baby.

The dog owner's behavior changes because of the dog, too. The dog needs
exercise. The dog needs "bathrooms". If the dog didn't exist, the problem
with their waste products would not exist.

Now, before you respond as I know you want to, consider this: All urban
and suburban areas have laws regarding what types of animals we can have
on our property. Why?

This discussion comes up now and
then in rec.gardens. Nothing is ever resolved. Have you actually
asked this person not to allow their dog to pee on your plants? If
so, what did that person say?

One obeyed, and remained friendly. Two said that the first X feet of
property belongs to the public, which is not true (according to our
town justice), and continued to argue. All three were asked politely,
in the exact same way.

So why are you blaming dog owners. Why not just blame this "person"?

Because of an erroneous group of words: "I'm a good dog owner". Even the
"good" ones walk around causing problems. We have a couple of strays
here. Guess where they sniff around to take a dump? Exactly where the
"good" dog owners cleaned up after their pets. So, the "good" people are
setting up their neighbors for more annoyances.

When these little inconveniences prop up for me I think about the
thousand people who just died all over the world from either
starvation, not a drop of water, or HIV AIDS. I think of the child in
Africa who dies alone at the age of five and a huge vulture now has
some food. There are so many more important things in the world and
locally to put energy into.

You could use this logic to justify looking the other way for almost
any kind of crime. I've got a friend who could remove a picture window
from your house, intact and undamaged, in under 1/2 hour. Would that be
OK with you? After all, it's not assault or indecent exposure, and it's
certainly not a bad as a child starving in Africa. I just like your
window and I feel like having it, purely on a whim. You wouldn't call
the police, right?

A dog doesn't purposely pee on your garden because it annoys you. It
doesn't even consciously think about it.

Jen

Does the dog owner leave the house with the dog intentionally, or is the
dog owner somehow unaware of his/her actions? I think that qualifies as
dementia.

Once again the owners fault, not the dog's!!

But, it *does* qualify as intent.