Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Drainage question for raised bed next to house

On Mar 1, 10:45 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"paulfj" wrote in news:1172760565.868553.54280@
8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

Here's a list of what we've planted, though I think the issue is
inadequate drainage:

I pulled a few facts about these plants just to try and piece this together
a bit.

Blackeyed Susan

Medium tolerance for drought; likes well-drained soil. Sun to partial
shade but will not tolerate a lot of shade.

Goblin

This probably Gaillardia 'Goblin' a dwarf gaillardia. They need good
drainage

Is that a moonwort? That's not zoned for where you are, AFAICT.

Lantana

I find Lantana is not hardy if it is both cold AND wet. Most of them
are
not hardy here in zone 8 NorCal

Ok for NC. Can withstand drought; likes full sun. Lantana camera isn't
zoned for where you are but I think all the other ones are.

Columbine (purple & yellow) - 1 of 3 seemed to do ok, and it's on the
outside corner of the bed

Wild Columbine likes partial shade; moist, well-drained humus soil.

Foxglove

There are some varieties that aren't grown in NC. Perhaps you have the
wrong kind? Most varieties (if not all) like partial shade.

They like moist but well-drained soil.

Lily of the Nile

Likes full AM sun but perhaps PM sun was too much for it?

Maiden Pink

Is that Dianthus deltoides? Being a wildflower, it should have been able
to take a bit of neglect. Perhaps the dieback was a natural part of the
cycle?

Red Fox

This might be Veronica 'Red Fox'

Can't find this one listed at:http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets

Rosea

Rosea and Wine Periwinkle might be Catharanthus roseus. Another one
that likes it
hot, but does not want to be cold and wet. Doesn't usually overwinter
here unless it's
warm and not too rainy a winter

Can't find this one, either.

Termari Patio Rose

I assume this is a small rose???

Or this one.

Wine Periwinkle

Can't find this specific one but Periwinkle likes partial to full shade.

That periwinkle is vinca minor/major, confusing, no??

Mexican Heather - seemed to do really well; suspect it will come back

This is Cuphea hyssopifolia; same story not for cold and wet. Usually
doesn't
survive reliably with heavy frost.

Tiger Lilies

Again, "Tiger Lilies" didn't come up on thehttp://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/search but if you
have the scientific name, perhaps you can look it up, but I thought (but I
could be wrong) that all lilies liked things a bit on the damp side.

Tiger lilies can cover a number of species. But remember, they are
bulbs and
might still be down there underground

"Jim Crockett" Boltonio

Perhaps, Boltonia, is a small daisy like flower?

Bombed out on that one, too. If you have the scientific name you might be
able to find it.

I'm wondering if heat and too much light didn't kill off a lot of your
flowers, not a drainage problem. Did you actually notice boggy soil?
Collected water?

snipped a little bit here.........

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the bricks generated a
bit too much heat to the plant roots.

Most of those really like heat. They all grow here in 100 degrees,
except the columbine which likes part shade, but we
are dry, so there could be not enough drainage. Did the plants have a
good
root system, or were there hardly any roots, ie, rotted away??
Terrific job, FW.
Emilie
NorCal