Old 02-03-2007, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Senetti

Senetti is a range of Pericallis hybrids raised in Japan (can't
remember the name of the raisers) a few years ago. The florists'
'Cineraria' is a hybrid between Pericallis cruenta and P. lanata and
'Senetti' is a summer-flowering development along similar lines. Its
smaller leaves and prolonged flowering period make it ideal for summer
bedding in the UK provided you can keep the slugs off. I'm pretty
sure that you still have Pericallis lanata growing at the nursery and
it is almost certainly one of the parents.

P. lanata is a very attractive plant eventually becoming a sub-shrub,
carrying airy sprays of 2cm. diameter, purple-centred, white flowers
with reddish-purple tips to the petals. It has small greyish
'Cineraria' leaves that have a wooly white indumentum beneath and
seems to flower almost throughout the year. I bought one from Ray
about 8 or 9 years ago and it survived in the garden here for several
years. Personally, I prefer it because it has a delicate elegance
that has been lost in the Senetti range. That said, for summer
bedding purposes Senetti's vivid splashes of colour take some
beating.