Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default bulk cow manure in Sydney

"Terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

Terry have you tried to find stables (ie racing trainers, recreational
riding stables etc) round your area?

We know of Warrick Farm and a training place at Cobbity. We have been to
the Cobbity place once. It was lots of shavings and little poo.

The other problem is storing it for three months for the worming kill
stuff to disapate. Bit hard to handle half wool packs of the stuff.

I don't bother about the claims that it kills worms and never have bothered.
I spread it as soon as I pick it up and sometimes it's almost still on the
steaming side. I find that horse poop is the one animal manure that can be
spread very fresh (but of course I wouldn't put it very fresh on small
seedlings).

However, given your comment and how frequently I've read it in garden
forums, heard it in conversation etc, I did a google and found the following
at http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/livestk/01224.html

"The most common wormer used is known by the brand name Ivermectin® made by
the Merial Company. Merial's research shows that the active chemicals in
Ivermectin® are deactivated when manure is exposed to sunlight. Equine
studies show that 95 percent of the active chemicals in Ivermectin® are
deactivated in the horse before being passed in the feces. Leading experts
in vermicomposting believe that the concentration of Ivermectin® in the
horse manure is not high enough to seriously injure Eisenia."

HTH. From my own experience, I'd say try it, you'll like it.

Otterbot and I both swear by horse manure as being a wonderful amendment
for soil and as a cattle producer, poultry owner and child of former
poultry farmers, I can tell you that I would rather have horse poo than
any other manure.

Well, that is interesting. It might be just lack of exterience from the
other people that they never mention horse.

Might also be that it isn't available in small bags (20L) lots. It doesn't
worry us, but is a factor for some people.

Possible, but then it isn't a consideration for me either :-)) I get it by
the ute load or trailer load.

The reason why I suggest trying to find a stable complex somewhere in
your area is that on the fringes of suburbia, it is often a problem for
them to get rid of the poo and they usually let people come and load up
tralers full of the stuff. Or do you need to get it delivered?

We can do trailer and back of van loads no trouble (so far). I have a nice
collection of long handle shovels for loading {:-). It is just finding the
open places atm. I get told disease and public liability are issue.

I can understand the public liability aspect but I wonder what diseases they
have in mind. Can't think of any zoonoses but I guess they could be
thinking of tetanus I suppose.