Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Wastebin sensors

In message , "Pete
‹(•¿•)›" writes
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:21:01 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

Some months ago, we had a discussion about sensors in dustbins and
garden refuse collecting bins. Our bins are emptied once a week by
three sets of collectors, more or less simultaneously. There is a
penalty of up to one thousand pounds for people not using their
recycling bins.

In Wymondham, Norfolk, it was proposed to install sensors in the bins
in order to spot who was putting the wrong stuff in their bin. They
collect on alternate weeks. I was recently staying with m-in-l and we
found these sensors in the brand new bins that had been delivered to
her. They are just under the front upper rim of the bin and are around
one inch in diameter and I should imagine that giving everyone two new
bins was expensive. Does anyone know how these sensors work, please?

PS The council there have stopped giving away free dog-pooh bags -
possibly to help support the cost of all the new bins.

Why should the council give away free dog bags? That's crazy.
--

I didn't say it wasn't.