Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener cliff_the_gardener is offline

Default Back briefly for apricot advice please

Mary

Apricot and peach are fine grown up here but they do need protection.
May I offer this system which seens to work well.
The tree was trained against a south faciing fence pannel, raised 9
inches off the ground so that a frost pocket sis not develope behind
it. The fence posts where extended so that they where a good couple
of feet higher than the panel.
The panel provides a suprising degree of warmth. The extended posts
are used to provide a top covering - angle bracket like to stop water
damage to the fruit and reduce fungal disease spread by water
droplets.

The one thing I would be concerned about, is that if you are intending
to use your neighbours wall then there is a possibility or root damage
in preparing the wall. Why not grow it on in a container until the
wall is ready - if there is a risk of root damage

I know of several members of the Northern Fruit Group growing apricots
(predominatly Moorpark, Farmingdale and Flavorcot) in the Leeds area -
mainly in protected / under cover situations though.

The Northern Fruit Group has an allotment garden over at Fartown,
Huddersfield and there is a meeting there on 13th & 25th March. If
you want any info - please feel free to ask.

Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire