Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM posted to austin.gardening
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Grubs

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:31:59 -0600, Treedweller

But now you got my hackles up. Texans tend to use different words and
pronunciations than New Yawkers. That does not make us dumb.
However, please do not construe that as an endorsement of the word
"newcular".

If you heard me speak, you'd know I was from New York, but I don't say
YAWKA. My accent is very subtle and most people think I'm from
Boston. When I watch the Soprano's I shrink in embarrassment that the
way they are portrayed is how the world thinks the Northeast speaks.

Calling something a possum is not a pronunciation difference, it's
incorrect. Saying Guadaloop instead of Guadaloop-hey is a Texasism,
but it's not the correct way to pronounce it. It's so unimportant in
the grand scheme of the world, don't get hackles up. I'm a snob and I
know it! LOL

Actually, the correct way to pronounce it is "Hwadaloopay".

Speaking of accents, I am from a small town to the south of here, and
have no discernable Texas accent, although I can fall into a few reasonable
facsimiles should the need arise to fit in with regional locals.
I didn't use "y'all" until arriving at UT as an acting major to
assimilate with my more urban contemporaries....