Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default noise barriers?

In article ,
"Hoodoo" writes:

| I'm thinking of buying a house that is about a quarter of a mile from a
| noisy bypass (A41) - is there any effective way of reducing the noise by
| planting/building a wall etc?
| I've heard that a solid, dense structure such as a wall is the best
| olution - has anybody tried this? The sound is mainly mid frequencies, with
| the occasional low-frequency rumble from lorries, if that makes any
| difference. Many thanks for any help.

For the low frequency rumbles, you are dead. Forget them.

You need either a wall or a dense, thick hedge (typically evergreens
and yards thick, not feet). It also needs to be higher the further
you want it to work as a barrier - I don't know the physics offhand,
sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.