Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nel[_2_] Nel[_2_] is offline

Default noise barriers?

"Hoodoo" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a house that is about a quarter of a mile from a
noisy bypass (A41) - is there any effective way of reducing the noise by
planting/building a wall etc?
I've heard that a solid, dense structure such as a wall is the best
olution - has anybody tried this? The sound is mainly mid frequencies,
with the occasional low-frequency rumble from lorries, if that makes any
difference. Many thanks for any help.

I'm pretty sure that after a while you'll not even notice it.

I remember my brother bought a house in Grimsby which was about 30 yards
away from the main train line. The first time I slept there I was
shockingly awoken at 6.15am by the thunderous roar of a train - sounded like
it was coming through the house!!. The next day at 6.15, the same...and the
next... and the next etc. Turned out it was the ONLY London bound Intercity
125 that ran from Grimsby per day, accelerating as it left the station!
Within a few weeks though, I was merrily sleeping through it - even in the
summer with the windows open!!