Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default noise barriers?

On 2 Mar, 21:22, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article , Michael Bell writes:

| That is broadly correct. Trees and vegetation in general don't cut
| down the noise very much. Walls and earthen embankments do.

Actually, they do, but it depends a great deal on the thickness
(obviously) and the frequency. Even a 6' hedge of heavy evergreens
cuts out a LOT of the high-frequency noise. A 2' hedge of beech,
privet or hawthorn may as well not be there.

| Unlike
| light, noise does go round corners, but only weakly so. Most of the
| noise is line-of-sight. Remember that most of the noise is from the
| tyres hitting the tarmac, NOT the engine (just listen to it. What do
| you hear?)[*] so if the line of sight from the road surface to your
| eyes (quite close to your ears) is blocked, then you've done all you
| reasonably can.

The lower the frequency, the more sound 'bends'. That is why you
can do very little about the rumble.

[*] In my case, almost bugger all, but that isn't the point :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds like a job the dreaded Leylandii, after all a Leylandii hedge
seems to prevent the people who have planted it from hearing all the
things their neighbours on the other side of the hedge are saying
about them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries