Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Andy is offline

Default Question about bulbs

"MikeCT" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message:
snip
He claimed that bulbs, when touched, even gently or when they grow
and touch a stone or some hard object, all exude an acid.
This is what animals such as rodents and deer etc can smell.
I didn't have the heart to say that still didn't explain why bulbs would
exude something that attracts animals to eat them and the audience was
getting a bit restive as it was just before tea time

----
In my last garden, I had a large woodland area smothered with bluebells
and
daffodils. I also had grey squirrels, eight of them on one occasion. The
squirrels didn't appear to dig up any of those bulbs, yet I am sure they
feasted on my prized crocus bulbs nearer the house. Perhaps the crocus
bulbs
exuded more acid allowing the squirrels to locate them. Very interesting!

MikeCT

Squirrels can find crocus bulbs without difficulty: crocuses must smell
strongly of something tasty to sqirrels,

Andy.