Old 03-03-2007, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Josie Josie is offline

Default Garden Birds

Message from Paul Luton on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:13:15
Garden Birds:

In message
Josie wrote:

This winter wasn't good for garden birds in SW London. Greenfinch and
Goldfinch numbers were down, no siskins, no sparrows, starlings became
rare and we hardly saw any chaffinches.

I wonder whether other gardeners in the area had the same experience.

Is that because all the greenfinches in SW London are queuing up at our
sunflower feeder to the annoyance of the regular tits and chaffinches ?
Agree with lack of sparrows and siskins but Goldfinches are around these
parts.

I also feed sunflower, but greenfinch numbers were down by 90% I'd say
in winter. Numbers are picking up now. The chaffinches in my garden
don't feed at the feeders but on the ground beneath them.