Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Shawn Hirn Shawn Hirn is offline

Default Frozen Lima Beans

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

My dad makes his own lima bean, rice, and tomato stew that he serves
fairly frequently as a side dish when I visit my parents for dinner. My
dad takes whole tomatoes from his garden or store bought, cuts them up
and slowly simmers them in a big pot of water with some spices until he
gets a sauce, then he adds canned lima beans, white rice, and some other
vegies, simmers the mixture more. The result is a vegetable stew that he
really enjoys. I am not a big lima bean fan so I seldom eat any of it,
but my folks enjoy it a lot and its very easy, but time consuming to
slowly simmer the stew.