Old 03-03-2007, 05:55 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Emma Thackery Emma Thackery is offline

Default Frozen Lima Beans

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

I've never seen frozen limas, either baby or Fordhook, for over
$2.50/lb. $4 a pound is shocking. I usually get the regular Fordhook
limas since I find the baby ones kind of tasteless and mushy. Here in
my part of the midwest, they're on sale once or twice a year for $1/bag.
We love them so I usually buy ten bags when they're on sale. In the
garden, we usually plant pole limas since they are a long-season crop.
They usually do well but last year, with the drought, ours failed and
the deer managed to overcome our defense system. For growing, I
recommend the Christmas/speckled pole variety and sturdy tripods at lest
6 feet high. We'd had very good luck with that one.

We like ours plain with just butter or mixed with corn cut off the cob
(especially grilled corn). Just a tiny bit of bacon added during
cooking gives them a lot of flavor. Fresh limas, right out of the
garden, are just fabulous.

Emma