Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default What to plant next

Staycalm wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Jonno wrote:
Staycalm wrote:
I am just pulling out my four cucumber plants as I was a bit careless
and watered too much of the leaves and eventually got wilt. I have a lot
to learn. Still, I had loads of cucumbers from them.
Can I plant a couple of different varieties of beans in the same place?
How should I prepare the soil? There is a wired support going across the
bed.
I am in Melbourne.

Liz

Beans still are OK while weather reasonably warm, when it gets colder
they wont germinate. They prefer warmer temps though. Silver beet
Cabbages caulies carrots are some.
The "wilt" could be caused due to the end of the season for them.

That should have read FRENCH beans
Other winter varieties like scarlet runners could go OK but are better in
spring.
Broad beans would be OK

Oh great. I love broad beans! That will be the go.

Liz

OK Where in Melbourne are you?
I have some spare seed left over from last year. (and experimented with
braod beans in summer this year. Blasted ants and black soot all over
them. They grew OK but still like the colder weather. Not large and
needed extra water.(didnt get enough) Grin!)