Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default What to plant next

Staycalm wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
I went online and did some research on broad beans so I was pretty sure
I'd be waiting a while before planting. It is still so warm here.
I have had some brocolli in for a month already. It was possibly too
early.

im(limited)e, you can plant it too late but not too early. i hope you
don't want me to explain that sentence :-)

I understand you perfectly ;-)

There is no head forming yet. How long does that usually take?

again ime, for most of its life it's just growing & not doing much, & the
heads come after about 3 months but it can actually be much longer. once
it starts heading, it's on for young & old! cut the main head, & that
forces the side shoots. after you cut the side shoots, there's side-side
shoots (etc) progressively smaller as you go. this goes on for a while.
because they explode into heads all over the place, it's a good idea to
have some of different ages, so you're not overwhelmed with it.

i was perturbed by a broccoli (i posted here ages ago) which lived on & on
without heading while the others bolted - but after that i read that it's
actually a biennial in that it has an 18 month life under some
circumstances.
kylie

That's cool. I will plant some spinach in the meantime.
Cheers

Liz

Something for nothing and probably a guide for local planting times.

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/guide/guide.asp