Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia?

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

My search for "zoysia seed" turned up almost universal advice
discouraging planting from seed or in shady areas.

http://www.allaboutlawns.com/grass-t...ysia-grass.php
"...it can take up to 12 months for sprigs or plugs to merge and cover a
lawn area. If there's a lot of shade in your garden, no matter the climate,
you should probably pass on Zoysia grass."

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/whyplugsarebetter.html

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/moreaboutzoysia.html
"It is hard to grow because only a small percentage of zoysia seed will
successfully germinate."

http://www.zoysias.com/
"Please note that we ONLY recommend Zoysia seeds for use in bare soil
areas. Planting seeds into existing grasses has a HIGH FAILURE rate. If
planting into an existing lawn (grass and/or weeds) we recommend that you
consider using Zoysia plugs instead of seeds. - Zoysia seeds also are
difficult to achieve germination in low light / shady areas."

Well, I've got little to no grass except for winter rye right now but
that will die as soon as it gets hot.

Most of my yard is sun.

I suppose plugs might be a better idea but I was trying to save money.
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.