Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Ipomoea again

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Seed can be found in botanical garden and university Indices Semina, if
| you can convince them that you're a suitable person to supply seed to.

Thanks very much. I should probably be able to get some here, if they
grow them.

| Googling for Seminum and the taxon you're interested in usually finds a
| few sources. (Though you can't be sure that seed is correctly identified
| or named - I've just noticed one list has both Alcea rosea and Althaea
| rosea.)

Thanks again! Yes, indeed. I have just found one page that includes
Ipomoea bona-nox Linn. (if Linnaeus called it that, surely it should
still be called that?) and Ipomoea indica.

| I have a gut feeling that this is an area where an urban myth has
| developed by people simply quoting other people and not checking.
| This is far more common in academic circles than most laymen - or
| most academics :-( - realise.
|
| Such as the tendency to describe Eohippus as fox-terrier sized, as noted
| by S.J. Gould.

Indeed. And all of the ones referred to by Rackham. And on and on :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.