Old 04-03-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Daffs 99% vanished

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:23:44 -0000, "Trevor"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:07:43 -0000, "Trevor"
wrote:

I planted dozens of Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation in the autumn
of
2005 around our village monument. They made a splendid show in Feb/March
2006. This year virtually 99% of them haven't come up. I dug up the
bulbs
and an odd one has a pathetic green shoot of a few inches and that's it.
What could have gone wrong? Would it be a mistake to plant more in the
same
place?

Most of our crocus have disappeared too. I blame the appalling wet
weather.
--

Martin

We're on extremely free draining chalky gravel and in one of the driest
parts of the country so I don't think wet could be to blame. More likely
too
dry as the ones in the foot of the hedge that have more humus in the soil
were OK.

I planted dozens of Crocus tommasinianus in the grass around the monument
too. Last Friday was the first sunny day for 2 weeks and they finally came
out - very dramatic they looked - the next morning the whole lot had
gone -
looked like eaten off - Sparrows?

Starlings?
--