Old 04-03-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Daffs 99% vanished

In message , Trevor
writes
I planted dozens of Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation in the autumn of
2005 around our village monument. They made a splendid show in Feb/March
2006. This year virtually 99% of them haven't come up. I dug up the bulbs
and an odd one has a pathetic green shoot of a few inches and that's it.
What could have gone wrong? Would it be a mistake to plant more in the
same
place?

Does the area get a lot of foot traffic? I was looking at the distribution
of bulbous plants in a local park recently, and I was wondering whether it
was restricted beyond the original boundaries by a combination of
trampling and soil compression.

I planted them at the same time along the foot of a Lonicera nitida hedge
few metres away , and they are flowering OK.

I'll try and get a picture, but the monument is raised on stone steps and
the bulbs were at the base, literally inches from it and too close for
anyone to regularly walk over.