Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default This group

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| But don't trust them too far - and ESPECIALLY never trust ones that
| indicate a geographic origin. They are more reliable than English
| names, but not wholly reliable, and ones that imply a location are
| misleading as often as not.
|
| For example, I'm told that the Cuban Lily, Scilla peruviana, is a
| Mediterranean plant.

Well, that would make it misleading in only one word, rather than both
for the English :-)

We've just returned from a holiday in Portugal, having spent the last
evening talking plants with the restaurateur. For many of the plants, he
was able to use only the portuguese common names, which in many cases
are nothing like the english - if we'd both been using the latin, it
would have been easier.
--
Kay