Old 04-03-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Garden Birds

On 4/3/07 17:34, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sue writes

"Josie" wrote
This winter wasn't good for garden birds in SW London. Greenfinch and
Goldfinch numbers were down, no siskins, no sparrows, starlings became
rare and we hardly saw any chaffinches.

I wonder whether other gardeners in the area had the same experience.

I was thinking only last week that this winter we've had far fewer birds
come to the feeders and birdtable. Whether that's because the weather's
been mild enough that they've had plenty of natural food around I don't
know.

BTO were predicting earlier that we'd get fewer birds at garden feeders
this winter for that very reason

They've actually said recently that many birds have been feeding in fields
etc. and haven't needed garden feeders.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk