Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k. p.k. is offline

Default Advice please.

Robbo wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now
wish to level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior
to seeding as a lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

Several choices...

Rake them all off and prepare for seed with sand/soil mix after
sorting proper drainage.
or
Cover them with a healthy thickness of soil and rake level then seed.
or
Cover with woven polypropylene, soil/sand mix then seed
or
Douse liberally with paraffin/diesel mix and set fire to...

Ok.....I was kidding about the last one ;-)

The soil under the bark chips is most likely very compacted, not the best
foundation for a lawn!

I'd rotovate the bark chip into the soil before covering with new soil.

pk