Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default This group

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Possibly it is the case that the more revolutionary results are the ones
| which get more publicity outside the academic literature. ...

That could be. They certainly get pretty distorted, even when the
academic results are not. But some of it is that certain academics
overstate their results in order to attract publicity and hence funds.

| Also, for at least some of the DNA results, there were non-DNA
| precursors in the literature, even if they hadn't permeated into the
| popular consciousness.

Those are usually the changes which are least likely to be reversed,
or rapidly replaced by another change. Quite a lot of people feel that
DNA should not have been used for reclassification until we had a much
better idea of its implications. All right, things are NOW getting to
that state, maybe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.