Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Pruning fruit trees

Lettuce Pray wrote:
: Hi, I would like some basic advice after giving you some very basic
: info:-) I have been asked to prune an apple tree and a plum tree. I
: have seen neither yet. All I have been told so far is that last year
: the plum tree cropped very well, but the fruit was too high reach. I
: am reasonably happy with the apple tree. However, should I be trying
: to prune the plum in such a way that it lets the branches droop under
: the weight ( and risk breakage) or prune it to enable ladder access as
: it is growing against a wall? We are in SE Scotland. Basically, how
: and when. Hard, I know, from this basic description, but all advice
: would be gratefully received.
: Thanks, Johnny

I shouldn't prune the plum now, wait till the summer