Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default Garden Birds

On Mar 4, 9:24 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I think they are the best bird we get, and I cant
get over how fearless they are.

I can't tell one bird from another. Last Summer there was a dear
little bird, outside the study window, next to the wall, that had laid
eggs behind the geraniums but not in a nest. She would move when I
took a little peek and I was very concerned about her as she never
left the nest, for days it seemed.

One day I was so worried, the sun was beating down, so I put a
ramikin, a tiny one, next to her head and still she would not drink,
so I gently put her beak into it. I did this several times over the
next few days and she let me each time. I put up a small shelter for
her to keep the sun off her and put lots of plant pots in front of it
to keep out cats. I was hoping that they would hatch out before I
left for my holiday but they didn't. When I returned there were
eggshells, ramikin dish and 1 dead bald baby bird.

Is there a bird that lays eggs on the ground?

Judith