Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default hedge question please

In article ,
"jones" wrote:

My problem also is that I don't want something that will end up making the
walkway only 2 feet wide. Would something like Murraya Paniculata do for
there?

Not if you live in Sydney or further north. It is a very aggressive plant
here -- I've seen one Murraya paniculata at least 6m high in Petersham. The
scent is quite cloying too IMHO -- do you *like* it?

I assume that the paling fence means the garden bed is shaded. I would choose
Heavenly Bamboo -- Nandina domestica. It's not a bamboo at all, but has a
similar leaf shape on a smaller scale. It's pretty with or without its
flowers and berries, without screaming "Look at moi!" all the time. Tough
too, without being weedy. Here are some pictures, but they don't do it
justice:
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/im..._domestica.htm

You could underplant with violets, or possibly mints, for a pleasant shaded
garden.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue