Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k. p.k. is offline

Default Advice please.

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now
wish to level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior
to seeding as a lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

I sense that if you place the top soil onto the bark the latter will
gradually rot and will probably leave you with an uneven surface as it
settles. Definitely best if you dig in the bark chippings and make
sure that the land settles before you sow your grass, otherwise you
may eventually have an uneven surface.

Rotovating will chop the bark as it digs it in.

pk