Old 27-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Sean Houtman

Default biology with a QM foundation rabbit manure

From: Steve Turner

Respiring plants are a new one on me. Without mitochondria or
oxidative phosphorylation I'm not sure how they'd go about using
oxygen. I've never heard of oxygen being anything but a waste product
to plants. They derive energy from the sun, not from chemical
oxidation.

Turn out the lights, eh? What happens with plants when the sun goes down? They
start respiring, plants use their mitochondria to do that. What happens inside
plant roots where there is generally no light? They use their mitochondria to
get energy from the sugars the leaves made.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage