Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Default Re "I'm Back"

On 3 Mar, 08:57, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ups.com...

Since you were last here I have been gifted a dahlia! D. coccinea

palmeri If
you would like some, just say the word.
Nice to see you back (how on earth you managed with a dodgy knee

goodness
knows)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks Charlie,
Sounds interesting, It would be interesting to see how it compares to
what I have as D. coccina.
It looks as if D,Coccina is going the way of Primula wandii, which for
so many years was a distinct plant, but now comes on many colours.
I saw seed of D. coccina on offer the other day in a mixture of
colours from white to red, yellow to orange and purple. it should have
been labeled D. coccina hybrids.

The plant I have came from a cutting off the plant in the national
collection so I assume they think its ok but I wouldn't know one dahlia from
another I will take some more cuttings once its back in growth and contact
you then.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I've grown Dahlia coccinea var 'Palmeri' from seed bought from Plant
World (Devon). Only a couple of seed from the pack seemed to be
viable, but they resulted in beautiful, sturdy, floriferous plants.
The dark, dissected foliage is more than equal to that of 'Bishop of
Llandaff', and the flowers are, in my opinion, even better - a deep
red with no yellow centres. I also tried growing the seeds sold by
Thompson & Morgan under the confusing and presumably inaccurate name
of Dahlia coccinea 'species mixed'. True, they look colourful on the
packet, but the resulting plants were all duds - dull foliage and
small, unexciting yellow flowers.