Old 27-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Jim W

Default Entering the Horticulture Field. :)

Hi Joel..

In the states, from what little I know you'd want to be looking at the
Master Gardener certificates (closest thing to RHS or city and guilds
qualifications over here in the UK). Anything beyond that might equal a
UK NVQ (National Vocational Qualification), ND (National Diploma) HND
(Higher Ntional Diploma (which I have) or following that a degree or PhD
(extra year or couple of years...)

It laregly depends on what you want to do.. Conventional industry
Horticulture.. eg nursery or public sector work, private landscaping or
design, organic or sustainable systems,.. Retail horticulture (eg
garden centres etc...

There are also things like Horticultural therapy, education programs etc
etc that are branches of Horticultural or have something to do with the
industry..

2 of my course colleagues spent their placement year at a large nursery
in North Carolina (sorry cannot remember the name but it was fairly
substantial!), so if you get on a fairly serious course there are even
opportunities for travel..
One guy spent most of the summer driving a forklift
the other (more acedemic) guy was put on customer advice and service and
came back with a fairly good knowledge of US nursery operations and
plants used in that area..

My advice if you want to get a job is to look at nurseries and garden
centres... Yes the jobs are likly to be the crappy ones but you have to
start somewhere.. If you're really lucky you might find a botanic
garden willing to take you on as summer help, unlikly but worth a try...

On a not so professional side you might look at community garden
schemes/allotments etc as they will give you a chance to 'get your hands
dirty' and gain some experience, however basic...

There is a there are a few US Horticultural Jobs sites around as well

Take a look on google and at:
http://www.horticulturaljobs.com

Good luck
//
Jim
North London, England, UK

Joel Jac0b wrote:

I recently sent this note to the NCAN (North Carolina Association of
Nuryserymen) they didn't really supply me with advice or information, so I
figured I would post the note here in the hope of getting some. Thanks
for your time!

Hello, I've had an interest in Horticulture since I was very small. I'm
now 22-years-old and would like to find a job in relation to this field. I
don't hold a degree, and in all honesty don't know much about
Horticulture, but I have a strong desire to learn. I recently contacted a
Director of Horticulture at a college in Ohio in order to gain some
knowledge as to how to obtain a job in this field. My main question to him
concerned whether or not it would be possible to secure a job in relation
to Horticulture without holding a degree. He suggested that I contact
nurseries in my state that grow plants/trees, and to inquire about job
positions available. I'm writing you in the hope that you'll be able to
make me aware of such nurseries in the state of North Carolina. I
currently live in Charlotte, but I'm willing to commute if it would bring
me closer to the goal at hand. Do you think a grower in the area would be
willing to train someone? I would like to thank you in advance for taking
the time to read this note. I appreciate it very much! Sincerely, Joel
Howery