Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
JohnS JohnS is offline

Default Advice please?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 00:01:19 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:13:05 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

Why remove them? They rot into humus under the cover of topsoil, good
for
the grass.

It takes both carbon and nitrogen to create humus, or as it's known
the finished product of compost. The bark will take too much nitrogen
out of the soil and the turf will suffer. I'd say to rake them away
and put them on the soil where garden or landscape beds are located.

To each their own. If topsoil is inches deep and chips buried they wont
use
nitrogen from above. I would do soil test anyway on topsoil and add what
is
recommended for grass.

And what then do you do when you have a huge sink hole where the chips
have decomposed?

What sinkhole? He don't say chips are over foot deep.

This is not a matter of "to each his own." This is
"fact" and "not fact." I don't have to list my credentials here, but
I don't say things arbitrarily when money is involved and turf costs
money.

How deep are these chips that sinkholes will form?

And what is "top soil?" Do you mean that dead as a door knob
"sandy loam" they put under sod when they build a house? It's not
topsoil. It's junk.

He didn't say how good the quality of the topsiol.