Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Diseased Maple Tree?

scfundogs wrote in news:552t12F214tpbU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 2007-03-05 10:11:16 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

I'm no authority on trees so I'll let someone else answer as to

whether
it can be saved or not, but do you really want a huge tree with a weak
spot in the trunk? Have you ever seen what a tree branch does to the
ground when the weight of the tree is behind it as it blows over?
Imagine what it would do to a house or a car or a person.

Good points I hadn't considered. I just hate to lose that many years
of growth. My neighborhood was practically treeless after hurricane
Hugo and very few people replanted trees. This one is finally starting
to cast some shade (the primary purpose in planting it) so I'm loathe
to start over.

Well, don't take my word for it since I don't know tree illness/repair.
I just know that we lost a tree once (that was healthy but couldn't
survive hurricane force winds) and when I saw how those limbs embedded
themselves into the ground, I got rather light-headed. I seriously never
considered what happens when a tree falls, I guess.