Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default persimmons and kaki

On 5 Mar, 14:58, "Cat(h)" wrote:
I was born in a part of the world (SW France) where our November lives
were brightened by soft, overripe kakis in many gardens and orchard,
and I absolutely adore the stuff.
However, after a bit of research (including some here, as I recall) I
had more or less come to terms with the fact taht I may not be able to
grow it (and get fruit) in the Eastern Midlands of Ireland.
Imagine my surprise when, in a promotional supplement included in
yesterday's newspapers, a Bakker.ie pamphlet advertised sharon fruit
(persimmon) trees for sale (the slightly square type fruits you get in
shops here and which can be eated even when hard, not the big roundy
ones I used to eat back home when they were almost gone off), side by
side with blueberry plants and raspberry canes.
Are there varieties that can genuinely be grown and fruit in these
Islands?

Cat(h)

Have a look at this site.. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/persimmon.html
It should answer most of your questions.
The parent site is worth saving as it is a good reference point.http://
www.crfg.org/pubs/frtfacts.html
I am growing Pepino Dulce and had a few fruits last year, have been
trying to get hold of named varieties that they grow in New Zeland but
to date no luck, they grow them as a comercial crop.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries