Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Rambling rose

On 5 Mar, 14:49, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message

... That's a song isn't it?

Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
to prune it at all?

Phil

Roses aren't my big thing but it might help if you can give a name to the
plant. There has always been some confusion about the terminology rambling
and climbing rose and the pruning technique is different for each.

I was always taught that with a rambling rose you cut out the old
stems once they have flowered and tie in the new, the same as you do
with Blackberries and loganberries.
With a climber you cut back the new growth and the old flower
stems.with the aim of building a framework.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries