Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default Anyone have any opinions on any of the hand-held digital PH meters?

I've been looking over the digital PH meters that are available for soil
analysis and perhaps for use in an aqua culture setting as well (double
duty) -- however soil is prime use. Anyway, I see models from Hanna,
Oakton, LaMotte and perhaps a few others. I'm skipping the cheapie color
chart versions since I gather they're difficult to interpret the results
-- particularly if you're a bit colorblind (which I am). Anyway I just
thought I'd ping you all to see if any of you have tried any of these
portable models and see what you thought of them and if there's any pitfalls
I should be aware of.. I gather they've got some interesting cleaning/care
requirements which is fine..

If you know of a meter that works as good as the $100 models but is a fraction
of the cost, I'd like to hear about it as well.. I also know that I could send
out samples to my local AG extension but I've got a lot of samples to check
and don't think it would be cost effective..

MTIA