Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
DP DP is offline

Default Advice please?

"Kevin" wrote in message
I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now wish to
level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior to seeding as a
lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

As the others have pointed out, a thick layer of mulch should not be left,
but an older or thinner layer would not be bad. The best thing would be to
till it into the soil very well, and then cover with the new soil. When
your grass is established, I would use a water soluble fertilizer (Miracle
Grow) as per instructions for the first year. That will help offset any
nitrogen depletion as the mulch rots. We have very clay, very old soil.
When revamping some old beds, I have tilled in bark mulch to give humus to
the soil. When I have dug into those areas the next year, I have a layer of
rotting mulch that is really feeding the soil.

DP