Old 05-03-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OT children's swings etc.

chris French writes
In message , Sacha
writes
The older grand daughter has a 6th birthday coming up and we know that a
swing and climbing frame would be welcome. They have a tiny garden, so
bearing that in mind, could modern parents let me know what they have found
to be the best for their children's needs, safety being paramount, of
course!

Ahh, it was big'uns 6th birthday last weekend. They got a lovely
playhouse from my mum and dad as combined birthdays/xmas present

I'd recommend having a look at TP toys range, everyone I know who has
their products is very happy with them. Quality of construction, of
materials, the instructions, and customer service is very good.

I'd second this. Ours had a TP climbing frame for years (I think they
were about 5 and 2 when we got it, and almost mid teens before they
abandoned it). The first few years it was in the middle of the lawn,
then, when they got into older primary age, it moved down to the
shrubbery at the end of the garden and formed a sort of giant climbing
frame with the adjacent mature cherry tree. Then we passed it on to
another young family.

Ours had a plastic platform with a 'tent' over it, forming a sort of
'tree house', and the platform was appreciated as a place to perch and
chat even as they were becoming too old to climb and play. The 'tent'
didn't last so well - it wasn't constructed to have sub-teens climbing
on top of it! I'd give that a miss - you could always make available an
old sheet.

We also had the slide attachment which was much enjoyed when the kids
were young - especially so in hot summers when we extended it with a wet
plastic sheet across the lawn.

--
Kay